400-417 Drug-Free Workplace/Drug-Free School
HIBBING PUBLIC SCHOOLS
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 701
BOARD POLICY 417
SERIES: 400 Employees/Personnel
SUBJECT: 417 Drug-Free Workplace/Drug-Free School
The following definitions shall be used to clarify this policy:
- “Alcohol” includes any alcoholic beverage, malt beverage, fortified wine or other intoxicating liquor.
- “Controlled substances” include narcotic drugs, hallucinogenic drugs, amphetamines, barbiturates, marijuana, anabolic steroids, or any other controlled substance as defined in law, including analogues and look-alike drugs.
- “Toxic substances” includes glue, cement, aerosol paint, or other substances used or possessed with the intent of inducing intoxication or excitement of the central nervous system.
- “Use” includes to sell, buy, manufacture, distribute, dispense, possess, use, or be under the influence of alcohol and/or controlled substances, whether or not for the purpose of receiving remuneration or consideration.
- “Possess” means to have on one’s person, in one’s effects, or in an area subject to one’s control.
- “School district location” includes any school building or on any school premises; on any school-owned vehicle or in any other school-approved vehicle used to transport students to and from school or school activities; off school property at any school-sponsored or school-approved activity, event or function, such as a field trip or athletic event, where students are under the jurisdiction of the school district; or during any period of time such employee is supervising students on behalf of the school district or otherwise engaged in school district business.
Use of controlled substances, toxic substances, and alcohol before, during, or after school hours, at school or in any other school location, is prohibited. Paraphernalia associated with controlled substances is prohibited.
It shall be a violation of this policy for any student or employee of the school district, or member of the public to use alcohol, toxic substances, or controlled substances in any school district location.
The school district will act to enforce this policy and to discipline or take appropriate action against any student or employee or member of the public who violates this policy. Reporting to law enforcement officials will take place when appropriate.
It shall not be a violation of this policy for a person to bring onto a school location, for such person’s own use, a controlled substance which has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States and the person has a physician’s prescription for the substance. The person shall comply with the relevant procedures relating to this policy.
It shall not be a violation of this policy for a person to posses an alcoholic beverage in a school location when the possession is within the exceptions Minnesota statutes.
M.S. 340A.403 (3.2 Percent Malt Liquor Licenses)
M.S. 340A.404 (Intoxicating Liquor, On-Sale Licenses)
M.S. 609.684 (Sale of Toxic Substances to Children; Abuse of Toxic Substances)
M.S. 624.701 (Liquor in Certain Buildings or Grounds)
41 U.S.C. 701-707 (Drug-Free Workplace Act)
20 U.S.C. 7101-7143 (Safe and Drug-Free Schools/Communities Act)
21 C.F.R. 1308.11-1308.15 (Controlled Substances)
21 U.S.C. 812 (Schedules of Controlled Substances)
34 C.F.R. Part 85 (Government-wide Requirements for Drug-Free Workplace)