600-603 Curriculum Development
HIBBING PUBLIC SCHOOLS
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT 701
BOARD POLICY 603
SERIES: 600 Education Programs
SUBJECT: 603 Curriculum Development
The superintendent shall be responsible for curriculum development and for determining the most effective way of conducting research on the school district’s curriculum needs and establishing a curriculum development program. Timelines shall be determined by the superintendent that will provide for periodic reviews of each curriculum area.
Curriculum development and modification shall involve wide district participation at all levels. An advisory committee may be established to provide assistance at the request of the superintendent. This committee shall be a reflection of the community with parent, teacher, and administration representation.
Within the ongoing process of curriculum development, the following needs shall be addressed:
- Provide for articulation of courses of study from kindergarten through grade twelve.
- Identify minimum objectives for each course and at each elementary grade level.
- Provide for continuing evaluation of programs for the purpose of attaining school district objectives.
- Provide a program for ongoing monitoring of student progress.
- Provide for the needs of all members of the student community.
- Meet all requirements of the Minnesota Department of Education.
The superintendent shall have discretionary authority to develop guidelines and directives to implement school board policy relating to curriculum development.
The superintendent shall keep the school board informed of all state mandated curriculum changes, as well as recommended discretionary changes.
The superintendent shall present significant curriculum modifications to the school board for review and approval.